If you’re looking for a way to enhance your pond or water element, then checkout these floating islands that promise to:
Made from layers of recycled plastic “matrix” which are bonded together with adhesive foam, BioHavens are planted with sod, garden plants or wetland plants and launched onto a water body.
There the plants are allowed to grow naturally, and, as they develop, their roots grow through the matrix and into the water below. Over time, a natural eco-system evolves. The model for this is Nature herself – BioHavens “bio-mimic” Nature. We are part of a new branch of science, Biomimicry, or Biomimetics.
1. They remove pollutants from a waterway, including nitrates, phosphates, ammonia and heavy metals
2. They provide critical riparian edge habitat – in fact, new land mass for use by all kinds of creatures, from microbes to humans
3. They sequester carbon and other greenhouse gases
4. They provide wave mitigation and erosion control
5. They beautify a waterscape
Latest posts by Timothy Dahl (see all)
- How to Convert Your Lawn to Drought-Tolerant Native Plants - May 22, 2015
- Double Down on Home Security with Double Cylinder Deadbolts - May 11, 2015
- Upcycle a Used Tire into a Succulent Planter - May 3, 2015