The recent tragic deaths of five Florida teenagers is a stark reminder of how dangerous carbon monoxide poisoning can be and how important the need for carbon monoxide monitors is. The colorless, odorless gas can be emitted from a variety of sources, and victims typically don’t know they’re inhaling the poison until it’s too late.
During the winter months, experts say that people are at a higher risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. In a pinch, some may use ovens or other heating appliances to keep warm, with the unintended consequence of releasing carbon monoxide into the air.
To help protect yourself and your family from carbon monoxide, install detectors on each level of your home, much as you would a smoke detector. The closer you can install them to bedrooms, the better.
And if you have a fireplace, make sure the flue is open when you start a fire. Annual chimney check-ups and cleaning are also ideal preventative measures.
Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include nausea, chest pain, headaches, dizziness and weakness. Because these symptoms mimic those of other illnesses, it can be difficult to determine the source of your ailment.
But by installing carbon monoxide detectors and using heaters, gas appliances and fireplaces safely, you’ll go a long way in preventing a carbon monoxide outbreak.
Do you have carbon monoxide monitors installed in your home?
Latest posts by Katy Schamberger (see all)
- How To Protect Your Home During An Ice Storm - December 8, 2014
- Keep Your Home Safe While You’re On Summer Vacation - May 16, 2014
- How to Garden in the Fall and Prep for Winter - September 23, 2013