It’s safe to say that impact drivers have hit mainstream and are becoming a coveted power tool for many DIYers. Impact wrenches and drivers have been used by auto mechanics for years and many furniture makes and woodworkers swear by their effectiveness over a standard drill driver.
Impact drivers look very similar to drill drivers but instead of seeing a standard chuck that takes bits, an impact driver has a hex chuck that is made to fit sockets as well as screw bits. Impact drivers work best for driving screws and bolts. The “impact” action these tools produce creates more torque against the screw or bolt and can drive and unfreeze bolts much better.
Impact drivers also won’t over turn a bolt or screw so you won’t get stripped hardware that you may have when using a drill/driver. Because of the tremendous amount of torque that is instantly at your fingertips you can drive lag bolts in a split second.
We reviewed the Craftsman Right Angle Impact Driver which is new for them this year and set at a price point that many homeowners would find appealing. But if you need a bit more gusto then consider the latest from their C3 lineup of cordless tools, the 19.2 volt Impact Driver. Craftsman hasn’t given up on their Ni-Cad line of cordless tools and although the battery is hefty it feels sturdy and makes a tremendous base.
The impact driver is available in a kit that includes 2 batteries and charger but we also like that this battery can be charged via our C3 quick charger that usually charges our Craftsman lithium-ion batteries.
This impact driver has a 1/4 in. metal hex coupler and delivers 900 in.lbs. of torque that should be plenty for most applications. Die cast gear case, forward/reverse switch. Braking switch. Like most cordless tools it also has a built-in LED light. The handle is comfortable and even though impact drivers are more top heavy than standard drills this one seems well balanced.
The impact driver is available for $79.99.
Includes one 1/4 in. socket adapter, 1 magnetic bit holder, 2 single-ended bits.
* Includes: Impact Driver, 2 Screwdriver Bits, Socket Adapter and Operator’s Manual
* Powerful variable speed motor with 0-2,500 RPM no load for drilling or driving into various materials
* Impacting mechanism produces 1,500 in-lbs. torque and 0-3,500 impacts per minute to easily drive long screws or lag bolts
* Die cast aluminum gear case for added durability
* 1/4-in. all metal hex coupler for quick and easy bit changes
* Built-in LED work light illuminates work area
* Impact resistant housing protects tool from damage
* Forward/ reverse switch conveniently located for easy bit direction changes
* Ergonomically designed handle with overmold grip for added user comfort
* Voltage: 19.2-Volt
* Weight: 3 lbs .41 kg
* Setup: Fully assembled
* Warranty: Craftsman One Year Limited
Latest posts by Timothy Dahl (see all)
- Build Your Own Zero Turn Mower Online with the new Z-Builder from Toro - April 17, 2015
- DeWALT Launches 40V MAX Battery-Powered Outdoor Equipment - April 17, 2015
- Open and Close Your Garage Door from Your Smartphone with Chamberlain MyQ - April 16, 2015