Here are some features.
1. Built from local earth-filled Superadobe coils (soil-cement or lime-stabilized earth).
2. Tree free.
3. Maximum use of space through alternative options.
4. Self-contained single unit (potential for a guest house or studio apartment) or double unit (larger family residence).
5. Can be repeated and joined together to form larger homes and courtyard houses.
6. Can be built by a team of 3-5 persons.
7. Designed with the sun, shade and wind in mind for passive cooling and heating.
8. Wind-scoop can be combined with a rated furnace unit, depending on local code approval. Solar energy and radiant heating may be incorporated.
9. Interior furniture can be built-in with same material.
Price: $2,400 for a single unit (400 sq. ft. approx), $3,200 for double unit (800 sq. ft. approx.)
The following two tabs change content below.
Founder/EIC at Charles & Hudson
Timothy’s background includes stints at This Old House, ELLE DECOR, Metropolitan Home and Woman’s Day. His work has been published on Wired Design, Bob Vila, DIY Network, The Family Handyman and Popular Mechanics and he has been featured on the Martha Stewart radio show and as a speaker at the ALT Design Summit, K/BIS and the National Hardware Show.