Appliances are almost always upgraded during a kitchen remodel and rewiring requires careful planning that should be done during the kitchen design process. Here are the planning steps you should consider when modernizing your kitchen with new appliances.
1. Pick out appliances – As with all electrical wiring projects, the key to successfully completing your project is planning. The first step to rewiring your kitchen is to pick out your appliances. This will help you determine your major electrical loads and help with the cabinet design.
2. How many circuits are needed? – OK. Let’s say you picked out a range, refrigerator, dishwasher, microwave oven and garbage disposal. What else do you want in your kitchen? Something that is becoming very popular is radiant floor heat. This is something that you need to determine now because this uses a fair amount of power. What about an insta-hot system to provide instant hot water? Anything else?
What we are trying to do here is determine how many circuits that you are going to need for your modernized kitchen. After you determine that, then determine how many circuits you have in your existing kitchen. With that information, you should be able to determine how many additional circuits you need.
3. Can your breaker box handle it? – Now go have a look at your breaker box. Do you have enough space and capacity for this upgrade? If you do, then you are golden. If not, then you need to either upgrade your electric service or install a larger breaker box.
4. Permits and codes – Now you need to go talk to your local building codes department and see if you can complete this work as a homeowner or if you need to hire an electrical contractor. If your breaker box or electric service needs to be upgraded, then I highly recommend hiring a licensed or qualified electrician to complete this part of the project. The breaker box and electric service is the most important part of your home’s electrical system. If this is done wrong, then the rest of your system will be unsafe.
Latest posts by Timothy Dahl (see all)
- GreenIQ Manages Your Lawn and Garden Watering Schedule So You Don’t Have To - January 27, 2015
- Keurig Coffee Maker Meet GE Refrigerator – A Match Made in Heaven - January 24, 2015
- Stay Warm with a Heated Camo Hoodie - January 20, 2015