Due to the drought, many wasps, yellow jackets and flies have begun to forge in people’s green yards and gardens. Besides being a nuisance these bugs can be aggressive and dangerous.
We’ve noticed a huge uptick in flies and wasps around our home and my wife has already been stung once this year. We’ve got a new baby in the house who loves playing outdoors and we want to make sure he’s safe.
The timing couldn’t have been better as Black Flag sent us their Flying Insect Trap which is non-toxic and blends into the backyard. We’ve tried those hanging clear bags that you fill with water which activates the lures but they aren’t very effective and they stink. This Black Flag trap has lures specifically for flies and wasps but we found the wasp trap was the most effective for getting all types of bugs.
The only drawback is that it’s a stinky mess to dump the dead bugs and reactivate the trap but it’s well worth it.
If bugs have you down this summer we recommend getting one of these traps and here are 5 other ways to keep bugs from ruining your party.
1. Use trash cans with lids and place away from the party area.
2. Keep lamps, lanterns and other light-emitting devices away from people since bugs are attracted to light.
3. Cover food when finished and discard or pack tablecloths full of crumbs.
4. Plant herbs such as lavender, rosemary, peppermint, garlic, chives and basil in small gardens or pots around the outdoor dining area. They act as natural insect repellents.
5. Fill bowls with orange and lemon peels to repel insects.
Latest posts by Timothy Dahl (see all)
- The InstaBoost Jump Starter Makes the Perfect Stocking Stuffer - December 19, 2014
- The Smart Home Big 3: Google Nest, Apple HomeKit, Samsung - December 9, 2014
- Inside a Chicago Woodshop – Untouched for 65 Years - December 9, 2014