The first step in our great tub refinishing project was prep work — dismantling the tub as much as possible so we could address each issue separately, without potential damage to any other component. Also, clean the everloving bejeebus out of it because after three years of storage and however many before as landscaping decor and whatnot, she had quite the layer of grime on her.
After some deliberation, it was decided that her feet needed to come off first, so we carefully tipped her on her side to get the feet on the opposite side. As you can tell from the photo above, apparently instead of your standard nut and bolt attachment, rusty old bent carpentry nails were the method of choice for keeping her feet on. So away went the brand-new ratchet set, and out came our borrowed Dremel 400 XPR with metal cutting attachment.
It took a little longer than anticipated, but after some loud noises and creatively careful prying, the feet were separated from the tub. We set them aside and dry-dusted to remove cobwebs and other debris. We then turned our attention to the cut drain pipe.
Apparently, Clementine was re-glazed at some point, and the drain was left on during the process, so removing the drain and pipe was another unexpected battle. We cut away the excess pipe with the Dremel, then using pliers and a hammer, we pried the drain apart, miraculously without scarring either side of the tub. Now that all the metal components were removed, we carefully turned Clem back onto her belly and upon her little tripod casters, albeit lower and more precariously perched than before.
Next, we scrubbed her down with regular bathroom cleaner both inside and out, and left her to dry overnight before attempting to make any repairs.
Stay tuned for the next installment where we learn some lessons the hard way.