We’re super fans of oscillating tools and when we had the opportunity to review the Dremel Multi-Max we jumped at the chance.
Hits: Variable speed and power
Misses: Not enough attachments included
Uses: Cutting, Sanding, Grinding
As with the previous oscillating tools we’ve reviewed, the Multi-Max performs in a similar way. You bolt on various attachments according to your needs and away you go. These are great for cutting in, grinding, and sanding.
We liked the variable speed trigger that is similar to the Dremel Trio and the battery life indicator is also a nice touch. The unit feels solid and if you’ve got other Dremel tools you can swap in the batteries and keep on going.
It comes in a hard case and the tool is offered in a cord and cordless version. We only tested the cordless and they both max out at 21,000 opm but the cordless variable speed starts at 3,000 where the corded starts at 10,000. The cordless gives you a bit more flexibility on the low-end but if you’re seeking all-day performance you should consider the corded version.
The set of included attachments was not very extensive and just like most Dremel tools they really shine once you realize their versatility. Fortunately we had a set of Bosch oscillating tool attachments to test which we’ll share in the next article.
Oscillating tools are an incredible segment in the tool industry and we think they really shine in the cutting department but not so much in the sanding and grinding. Although they can perform all three tasks the cutting attachments and effectiveness really make this tool a must-have. As a consumer tool it will definitely get you through most household sanding and grinding needs but a prosumer or contractor may wish for more from this tool on those tasks.
You can definitely feel the quality and technology behind this tool and we feel it is built to last unlike some consumer models. Hard to put a finger on it but the engineering seems more sophisticated that went into building this tool.
If you’re seeking a quality oscillating tool at a great price you can’t go wrong with this tool
The full specs include:
* Variable speed from 3,000 to 21,000 opm provides maximum control and precision
* High-performance motor for maximum performance at all speeds
* Separate on/off switch – maintains speed setting after tool is shut off
* Quick Fit™ feature – for faster accessory change
* Soft-start and electric brake for smooth operation and safe stop
* Battery fuel gauge lets you know when it’s time to recharge
* High-capacity 12V MAX Lithium-ion battery for longer run times
* Two-year warranty
* Oscillating Angle L / R 1.5 °
* Weight (lbs.) 1.8
Latest posts by Timothy Dahl (see all)
- The InstaBoost Jump Starter Makes the Perfect Stocking Stuffer - December 19, 2014
- The Smart Home Big 3: Google Nest, Apple HomeKit, Samsung - December 9, 2014
- Inside a Chicago Woodshop – Untouched for 65 Years - December 9, 2014