Dremel has a unique distinction within the tool industry as being a undisputed leader in its class with no real challengers. When you need a Dremel you need a Dremel and sometimes its hard to imagine working without one.
We recently tested the latest their latest product the Dremel 8200 12V cordless rotary tool. This bad boy runs on a lithium-ion battery and its heft and solid construction portray an extremely solid and durable tool.
The cordless convenience of this tool was extremely helpful. Jobs that require a Dremel are often fine tuning and require maximum movement and are to work with and it’s nice to know that with this tool you won’t get tangled up.
The variable speed switch is easy to use and many times with multi-speed switches we like cranking it up but this one was so powerful that we felt more comfortable testing it at lower RPM’s. It’s capable of spinning from 5,000 to 30,000 RPM.
Battery meter is a very handy indicator and Dremel states this lithium-ion battery will last 6x longer than a typical Ni-Cad battery.
Accessories with plentiful and there are more than enough sanding, polishing and cutting attachments.
As stated above this lithium-ion battery should last a long time but we used it to cut some PVC at an extremely high speed and it started to wear down after about 40 minutes of intense use. The battery was fully charged but we suspect the job may have been a bit too tough for this tool as any tool as it’s limitations.
Although we love the solid construction of this tool it definitely comes at a costs to weight as it seems to be on the hefty side. The nice comfortable grip requires a strong wrist and hand to support the weight of the Dremel. For lighter jobs you should consider their 10.8V Dremel cordless as it’s much more manageable.
Every amateur to serious DIY enthusiast should have a Dremel as part of their power tool arsenal and we see a ton of everyday applications for the Dremel 8200. The power of this device is amazing and the variable speed switch allows you to easily maintain control.
It comes in a handy carrying case and even includes a metal loop to hang store it.
* Variable speed from 5,000 to 30,000 rpm provides maximum control and precision
* Separate on/off switch and speed control retains speed setting for the perfect speed every time
* Quick collet lock for fast accessory changes
* Cool-running ball bearing construction for smooth and quiet operation
* Comfort grip housing for easier handling and better tool control
* Compact and lightweight for easier handling and less fatigue
* Battery fuel gauge lets you know when it’s time to recharge
* High-capacity 12V MAX Lithium-ion battery for longer run times
* Always Ready–Lithium-ion battery holds a charge 6 times longer than standard NiCad batteries.
* Two-year warranty
* Battery Lithium-Ion Battery
* Charge Time 1 hour
* Speed Variable, 5,000 – 30,000 RPM
* Voltage 12V Max DC
* Weight (lbs.) 22 oz / 0.62 kg
More photos of the Dremel 8200 in action.
Latest posts by Timothy Dahl (see all)
- Best Practices for Peak Summer Season Lawn Maintenance - July 30, 2014
- Build a Backyard Privacy Fence - July 29, 2014
- KOHLER Touchless Flush Toilets and Kit - July 23, 2014